Sunday, January 5, 2014

43 Things I Can Do at 43 That I Couldn't Do When I Was 20

So, I saw this posted on facebook and thought I would put my list together to share....credit given to the author Wendy Fontaine of the Huffington Post.

She wrote....20 was lovely, I was effortessly svelte, with naturally blonde hair, long eyelashes and smooth skin.....I didn't worry about sun spots or kidney stones, cholestrol levels or mammograms.  My biggest concern was getting my bangs to lie flat (or in my case curly).

Two decades later...I have a job that requires commitment, I spend my weekends catering to the kids or my family.  I have a lot to juggle and a lot to think about, some days I actually manage to get through it all.

Despite all that has changed, I would never want to be 20 again.  Sure, I was thinner, with loads of energy and free time.  Here at 43, I have more responsibilities, more wrinkles and more drooping body parts, but I also have three things I didn't have back then:  self-awareness, confidence and two really awesome daughters!

Here's a list of 43 things I can do now that I couldn't do then....and a few I still do :)

1.  Cook the best ever meals
2.  Tell the truth
3.  Look past my own flaws
4.  Stay home on New Years Eve or go away with some friends and spend a low key night out
5. Pay my bills on time
6. Go out in my pajama bottoms
7. Don't wash my hair everyday
8.  Go the gynecologist without being embarassed
9.  Talk in front of a group of strangers
10.  Handle rejection.
11. Ignore the trends, just wear what is comfortable....don't care what I look like
12.  Don't care about what other people think, just do what makes me feel good
13.  Ignore people's nasty comments
14.  Stand up for myself
15.  Stand up for others
16.  Be a role model for my girls
17.  Sit at a concert.....find it hard to stay out that late...but still enjoyed BonJovi!!
18.  Drive my car fast (not with the kids in it) and listen to loud music!
19. Be an independent woman
20. Realized that real beauty isn't just looks
21.  Swear when I want to
22. Make my own rules, don't need to follow anyone elses
23.  Avoid the drama
24.  Still use tanning oil at the beach....but I now know that it isn't good for me
25.  Stop trying to be perfect
26.  Use the bathroom and leave the door open
27.  Be proud of my naked body
28.  Create goals and actually meet them
29.  Save money
30.  Adjust to changes
31. Don't get upset over things you can't control
32. Plan my own vacation and pay for it myself
33.Stay up late if I want to or sleep in
34. Social chat on the internet...knowing that the person may be a creep
35. Take as long of a shower as I want
36. When I leave the lights on, don't care, because I am the one paying the bill anyway
37. Have as many pets as I want to
38.  Be my kids hero
39.  Be my kids support system
40. Eat ice cream for breakfast...or have two breakfasts on the weekends
41. Date someone only if I want to - on my terms
42. Teach my girls how to be the best "girl" they can be

Know that the best is yet to come.

Happy 2014!

No comments: